On Tuesday and Wednesday I have been on Devoxx 2013. It was a really good conference - many thanks to the organizers - and I'm writing this post to summarize what sessions I attended to and what I experienced there.
Day 1
The registration was very smooth, everybody was very friendly and helpful. After my id check I got my name badge and headed to the "Atrium" to get some breakfast and tea. After the breakfast there was an opening keynote with the usual content and and the first presentation:
The Programmer by Kevlin Henney
I had never looked at the programmers - including myself - as Kevlin Henney did in this talk. Kevlin talked about the programmers as people/living creatures and their human capabilities and barriers, the existence of what we are sometimes not able to accept. I suggest everybody to watch this talk as soon as it appears on Parleys.
55 New features in Java SE 8 by Simon Ritter
Nice summary of the features of the Java 8. I wouldn't include the whole list. You can check it out on the page of Java 8.
Cassandra: A beginner’s guide by Kim Ross and Thomas Van neerijnen
Short introduction to Cassandra. Kim and Tom showed the key features of Cassandra, they explained how it can scale up and how it returns the latest version of the data (if you need).
Quicky: assertImmutable : Introducing Mutability Detector by Graham Allan
Nice quicky about Mutability-detector. I definitely will use it to test objects immutability.
Application's development using JavaFX 2 by Thierry Wasylczenko and Jim Weaver
It was a demonstration how JavaFX 2 development works, what are the key features and what it the future of JavaFX.
Performance Testing Java Applications by Martin Thompson
I really enjoyed this talk. Probably because one of our backlog tasks is the load and performance testing. This talk was about software performance testing in general, Martin didn't show any specific tool. What he said only: "Please do performance testing and profiling" :). This talk really helped me to boost my "enthusiasm" in the topic.
Getting real with BDD: How real tests lead to real software by Aslak Knutsen
I didn't really understand what Aslak wanted to show us. :( What I learned from this talk is existence of Arquillian.
Mobile Apps with HTML5 & Play Framework by James Ward and Nicolas Leroux
This talk was very contradictory. First of all, it was very funny. Unfortunately this conference if not about humour.
The first part of this presentation was about the Play framework. It was quite alright. The second part was supposed to be about some HTML5 mobile application but 1. the HTML5 mobile app didn't work, 2. they didn't have time to show what they wanted and actually they didn't show almost anything because they were hasty.
Is NAO your robotic overlord? by David Snowdon
Demo about Nao robot. She He was really cute. :) And actually it looks surprisingly easy to program. But it was just a demo. I'm sure it's much more difficult to program in real development.
Open, round-table discussion about Scala
It was an open, round-table discussion about Scala. :)
Day 2
I was quite late on this day so I skipped the morning tea and I headed to the first session:
Groovier Testing with Spock by Robert Fletcher
I had tried to use Spock before this talk without success. I hadn't gotten the gist. This talk helped a lot. Now I know how it works and finally I can use it in our product. Thanks Robert, it was really a great talk.
Getting Started with WebSocket and Server-Sent Events using Java by Arun Gupta
I had heard a lot about WebSocket and SSE but I have never learned/tried them. This talk showed the key features of these standards. Arun showed us some examples too demonstration how to use these tools in a real software project.
Seven Deadly Sins by Markus Eisele
It was a nice talk about "mistakes" what we - as programmers - are doing during development.
Test Driven Development with Java EE 7, Arquillian and Enterprise Containers by Peter Pilgrim
It was bit better talk about Arquillian than Aslak's session. Peter demonstrated how to test JavaEE applications in the container with Arquillian. Arquillian is definitely an interesting tool and I'll try to find some time to spend on it.
Additional: What do you mean, backwards compatibility? by Trisha Gee
One week before Devoxx I had attended to this talk of Trisha in Skillsmatter. It was a nice talk how she approached and handled the problems having emerged since she joined to 10g and how they are delivering a new Java driver to Mongo DB keeping the compatibility with the old driver. It was useful, thanks Trisha.
Does your WAR resemble the world's largest bowl of spaghetti? Enterprise OSGi can help by Holly Cummins
Holly's talk was about the basics of OSGi. During the last summer I made a lot of work with OSGi - as a side project -, but then we dropped this technology. To be honest, I have no idea why we did it. Probably I didn't have enough time to get it fully working before the release. This talk gave me a new momentum to put OSGi back into our product.
Vert.x by Stuart Williams
I had heard about Vert.x every now and again but I had had not idea how it works. Stuart's presentation answered the questions and explained how Vert.x works. I believe Vert.x is a very promising famework/technology to write effective web applications. I should spend more time to learn it if I had. :(
I hate writing unit tests, how come everybody else enjoys it? by Colin Vipurs
We are doing TDD at Masabi. No... probably it's better to say we are trying to do TDD. TDD is obvious when you are reading books and there are so many pitfalls when you are actually trying it. This talk help to avoid a lot of these pitfalls and put a lot commonly repeated sentences into context. Big Thanks to Colin.
The Adventurous Developer's guide to JVM Languages by Simon Maple
Lightweight talk about the features of - some of - the new JVM languages. This presentation wasn't exhaustive, it didn't compare all the features, it did't want to compare the languages in every detail. It was just fun to see the ways what different languages have chosen, to glimpse into the new, sexy languages emerging nowadays from the soil of JVM. Thanks to Simon for the perfect closing talk. :)
Closing keynote
Thanks for all the organizers, presenters, volunteers etc. for this amazing two days.
No comments:
Post a Comment