Yesterday, I was on the LJC's (London Java Community) Open Conference. I'd never been before on 'Open Conference' and I have to admit I really liked it.
Intro
The conference was open at 9:30 with a small talk about LJC. The second speach was about Java, LJC, future of Java, etc. It was really good.
I noted only one thing from this talk. I somehow hadn't known that the Oracle is working on a JavaScript engine over JVM. That's pretty awsome because currently the only JavaScript implementation is in Java (called Rhino) and developed by Mozilla. I hope it will be faster and better and we will be able to use this instead of node.js
References:- Nashorn - JavaScript for JVM. - https://blogs.oracle.com/nashorn/
- Rhinoe - JavaScript in Java - https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Rhino
- node.js - Server side JavaScript based on Google's V8 engine - http://nodejs.org
Sessions
The introduction was followed by sessions. I choose a Groovy session and a Refactoring workshop. The Groovy session was quite basic, fortunatelly, because I'm also quite new in Groovy. There were mentioned a couple of new tools what I'm gonna try on the following week(s).
References:- Groovy - http://groovy.codehaus.org
- Grape - http://groovy.codehaus.org/Grape
- Unit testing - http://groovy.codehaus.org/Unit+Testing
- Spock - Testing framework - http://code.google.com/p/spock/
- Gint - Integration test framework - https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GINT/GINT
On the refactoring workshop a legacy code was refactored and restructured. It was useful, but it didn't give answer to my biggest problem with the TDD: who will pay for it? Because where I've work so far, there was not enough time to create entirely tested code.
Lightning talks
Before the lunch a lightning talks session took place. I'll list here the technologies/links what I noted as interesting technologies, tools, etc.
- OpenCloud - http://www.opencloud.com
- Cloud foundry core - http://cloudfoundry.com
- DevoXX - 16-17 March, London £320 - http://www.devoxx.com/display/UK13/Home
- Git - http://git-scm.com/
- Git book - http://git-scm.com/book
- GroovyFX - JavaFX2 for Groovy - http://groovyfx.org
- Distributed Pair Programming with Eclipse Saros
- Eclipse Saros plugin - http://www.saros-project.org
- remotepairprogramming.com
- Speaker: @Grundlefleck
- Voting system - scantegrity - http://www.scantegrity.org
- Specification based testing
- Disruptor - ring buffer - http://lmax-exchange.github.com/disruptor/
- LJC Mentor program and events
- .
Session
After the lightning talks I choose 4 sessions: About a Car Race Game, Caching, Gradle and Lambafication.
Car Race Game
References:- IBM Code Rally
- Project management - JazzHub
- WasDev community project - http://wasdev.net
Caching in Java
This session was about the CPU caches and to be honest I wasn't interested in it at all. But actually this was one of the best session of the day.
- Unsafe - a blog article about Unsafe
- Multi-Dim-Arrays are arrays of arrays. Be careful when iterate over that.
- Volatile - padding :) To allocate the whole cacheline.
- @Uncontented proposal - JEP 142
- Speaker: @RichardWarburton
Gradle
Next generation build framework
- Grade - http://gradle.org
- Speaker: Russel Winder
- Both Declarative and Imperative
- Can't use pmd, findbugs and checksyle parallel out of box
- NetBeans far better - Maven/Gradle integration
- Artifact ID is the directory name by default.
Lambdafication
- Lambda expression is coming in Java 8 - http://openjdk.java.net/projects/lambda/
It was a very good event. Big thanks to the organizers and speakers.
No comments:
Post a Comment